My New Toy

A lot of people have been posting about the new things they picked up over the holiday season, so I thought I’d share my favorite gift. And it didn’t come from my husband, or from my kids, but from a commenter to my blog (that’s right, Laura, I’m talking about you!). She emailed me to tell me that she hadn’t seen The Body Finder on Goodreads yet, and would I mind if she posted it there.

Goodreads? Goodreads...

Huh.

“Sure”, I email back casually as I race over to their website to see what it’s all about…

…and OMG…it’s like social networking heaven. For book nerds. Like me.

So, a lot of you already know about Goodreads, I know this because I’ve since met you there. But I know for a fact (Tamara) that several of you do not. And those who don’t must run (and I mean RUN) on over to check it out!

What is it? It’s like an online book club. A big one. Huge. And you can mark books you want to read, review and rate the books you have read, “friend” people, read other's reviews before you decide to pick a book up, join groups with others who have like interests, and even virtual-meet the authors behind some of the books you love. (And you can add The Body Finder to your “to-read” list…hint-hint.)

I LOVE THIS!!!

How did I not know about this sooner? How do I have MySpace, Facebook, and even Twitter, and yet Goodreads failed to even blip on my radar? I honestly don’t know, I can’t explain it, but now that I’ve found it, I’m hooked. Like crack. I’m a Goodreads-junkie.

You should be a Goodreads-junkie too.


Comments

Alea said…
You should try out LibraryThing.com that's my favorite! Shelfari is another one that's out there too.
Oh my gosh, how do I not know about these?!?! Thanks, Alea!!! Happy New Year :)
Alea said…
If you have extra books laying around you don't want try out Bookmooch.com too! Happy New Year!
You are awesome! I just checked all of these out...I may need to add a new post. Seriously, where have I been???
Alea said…
Hehe! They can be very addicting! Hope you enjoy!
Yes, LibraryThing is my favorite. I need to use GoodReads more!
PJ Hoover said…
I have Body Finder added to my 2009 books, so I'll definitely add it on Goodreads!
Thanks, PJ! I'm honored to make your 2009 reading list!!! I'll look for you on Goodreads too. I have The Emerald Tablet on my "currently-reading" list. I've been slow throughout the holidays, mostly because I've had a hard time getting my daughter to sit down and read with me (I may just leave her behind and let her catch up later!), but we are loving it!!!

And Lenore, I've just started poking around LibraryThing also. I LOVE these sites! Like I said, book nerd....
Laura Howard said…
Isn't it amazing what's out there?? I have all these myspace and facebook thangs too, and I'm not sure why...but I am crazy over goodreads...as soon as you get your cover,we'll start making you countdown widgets!!!
Wow, Laura, how cool is that...my own countdown widgets!?! I love technology. Thank you so much for everything!!! You are definitely going to get all that good karma paid back to you :)
Unknown said…
I didn't know about Shelfari until I saw it on Gurtler's page! I like it and I think it looks pretty decent on the bookshelf! (which is what I was looking for when creating the blog).
Unknown said…
I uee paperbackswap.com, I just sent out a ton of books for them too... plus it clears up my real bookshelf for new books!
Hey Laura! I saw your Shelfari gadget on your blog and I LOVE the way it looks. I signed up for Shelfari and LibraryThing yesterday (addictive!). Now I'll have to take a look at paperbackswap! There are so MANY great sites...I love it!!!