TEAM ZOMBIE: CARRIE RYAN!

I have envy: Cover envy. Title envy. Even website envy. THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH is one of those books I’ve lusted over from the moment I saw it!

And one of the things I’ve figured out is that my eight-year-old listens to everything I say. And repeats. Apparently she’s been listening a lot lately, so when I asked her one day what she was playing, she looks at me and says: "I’m playing Forest of Hands and Teeth".

HAHA! She doesn't even know what that means, but apparently the name resonates...even with the 8-year-old crowd!

NOTE: I got THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH for my birthday last week (apparently my husband listens too!).

About the book:

The Forest of Hands and Teeth is about a young girl named Mary growing up generations after an apocalypse in a village surrounded by fences protecting them from the Unconsecrated, zombie-like creatures inhabiting the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Cut off from the rest of the world and told they are the last survivors of the Return, every part of her life is controlled by the religious order called the Sisterhood. As Mary starts to fall in love with someone she shouldn’t, she learns the extent of the Sisterhood’s power and starts to discover more of their darkest secrets. When the security of the fences is threatened and her world is thrown into chaos, Mary must decide what she’s willing to risk to find out if there’s life beyond the Forest.

So, let's all welcome Carrie! YAY!!!

I call this interview Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other. It’s five questions, plus one bonus. Feel free to elaborate as much as you want (except, of course, for the bonus question!):

1) Would you rather be the Bestselling Rockstar Author or an Acclaimed Literary Award Winner?

Am I allowed to choose all of the above? Or either? Honestly, I think when it comes down to it I've loved being able to be a full time writer and so I'd love to sell enough books to stay that way. So I'd probably go with bestselling :)

2) Make people laugh, cry, or hide under the covers?

I wish I could make people laugh - it's such a skill! But I have a feeling my book makes more people dive for the covers and sometimes cry. Any response is awesome to me!

3) Retire early or just keep writing from your beach house(s)?

Just keep writing!

4) FaceBook or MySpace?

Facebook for sure (at least for me!)

5) After a period, one space or two?

Two! Always two!

And your bonus question: What ONE WORD of advice would give to any aspiring writer?

Write!

To find out more about Carrie, and her books, check out her website at http://www.carrieryan.com/. (Or just check out her website because it’s so freaking cool!)

Comments

Patti said…
I read Carrie's book in one day. It was awesome and I even had nightmares the next night.
Patti - Those are the BEST kind of books! I have to get through another round of revisions, but it's the reward waiting for me when I finish!!!
Christy Raedeke said…
I just finished this book, which was proudly hand-sold to me by Heidi Kling (as if I needed any encouragement to buy it). Of course, I devoured it much like a stinky Unconsecrated might devour a plump six year old. Loved it.
lisa and laura said…
Oh this title keeps me up at night. How will we ever come up with a title as lyrical and perfect as this??

Great interview. Can't wait to read the book!
Leigh Purtill said…
Ooh, have been wanting to read this since I first heard about it through the teen bloggers.

And btw, KD - do not have title envy. Yours is an awesome title too. :)
PJ Hoover said…
Loved this book! And great interview!
Katie Anderson said…
I have totally read this phenomenal book and LOVED it! I want to see the movie!
Elana Johnson said…
OMGosh. I just read this book today. Like today. All in one day. LOVED it! Thanks for writing it, Carrie, and thanks for the interview!
I'm glad to see so many people loved this book! I totally cannot wait to get started on it, it's sitting beside my computer...calling me...
Little Ms J said…
The title is phenomenal, but when Christy said that she devoured it "like a stinky Unconsecrated might devour a plump six year old" my heart skipped a beat. I will buy it immediately.
Miss J -- She creats a nice visual, doesn't she? My heart stuttered too.