'09 Reading Challenge

I don’t usually participate in Reading Challenges, mostly because I end up feeling like a failure if I don’t actually complete them. It’s a lot of pressure for me.

But this is one that I just couldn’t pass up.

The Story Siren is sponsoring the ‘09 Debut Authors Challenge. And, well, as a 2009 debut author, how could I possibly resist?

Here are just a few of the books that I will start my list with (I’ll post them all on my sidebar later), and I’m sure that these will change (and grow) over time:

Wondrous Strange by Leslie Livingston (actually released on December 23, 2008, but I’m reading it now, so I’m counting it for ’09)
September Sisters by Jillian Cantor
Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
The Season by Sarah MacLean
Wings by Aprilynne Pike
The Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell
Fairy Lust by Cyn Balog
Spell Hunter by RJ Anderson
Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
As You Wish by Jackson Pierce
Doc Wilde by Tim Byrd

I’m sure I’ve forgotten, like, a gazillion others (and the ones I’ve listed are in NO particular order)!

So, what do you have to do if you want to join the challenge? Just head over to The Story Siren’s site and sign up. Easy as that!

Oh, yeah, and don’t forget to add The Body Finder to your Challenge list. I’ve already read it…more times than I can count.

All I can say is, so far, people, 2009 is shaping up to be a pretty amazing year!

Comments

Anna said…
I'm doing this one too! I'm limiting myself to this one and then the 100+ Reading Challenge because last year I joined a bunch and then failed almost all of them. lol.

hope.
Oh my gosh, Hope, you are WAY ahead of me just by signing up for the 100+ challenge! I'm so impressed!!!
Jillian Cantor said…
Thanks for putting The September Sisters on your list! I'm looking forward to The Body Finder as well!!
Heidi Willis said…
What a great idea! I admit, I'm trying so hard to keep a step behind my son I'd be hard pressed to read 30 debut authors! But Body Finders is on my list. :)

100+ Reading challenge... is that reading 100 books???? Really??? Do magazine articles count? Or children's books? If you can include picture books, I'm all over that one!
the story siren said…
Yay Kimberly!! Thanks for joining up! There are so many awesome debuts! I can't wait to read them... The Body Finder will be on my list!
Leigh Purtill said…
Read on! I'm impressed by everyone who participates in these things. I doubt I read that many books in a year altho I've never stopped to count. I'll just read "The Body Finder" and call it a day...;)
I definitely won't be reading the 30 debuts that The Story Siren is committing to, mostly because there are so many OTHER books I want to read (like Leigh's All About Vee and Love, Meg). (And I'm with Heidi on the 100+ challenge, I could NEVER do it!) My list at Goodreads is getting ridiculous as it is, so I have to stop somewhere! But I SOOOO appreciate all of your support!!! You guys rock!
So I added another book, which I had reserved the right to do because I *KNEW* I would forget some. And, of course, I did. So, my amended list includes Doc Wilde and The Frogs of Doom, which is actually more Early Reader. But I know I'll be reading it with my daughter, so I'm adding it anyway!
Lisa Mantchev said…
Thank you for including EYES LIKE STARS!! I am so excited for all the books coming out in '09 that it's hard to sit still. ;)
Hey Lisa! Isn't it amazing to be saying that our books are coming out "this year"??? I can't wait to read Eyes Like Stars! Oh, and, your cover...*beautiful*!!!!
Tim Byrd said…
Actually, Kim, Doc Wilde is considered by Putnam to be Middle Grade, not Early Reader, and considered by me to be Middle Grade And Up, because it's really probably too sophisticated for many readers under ten, and has lots of stuff definitely aimed at older readers.

For some reason, alas, Amazon alternates between showing it as being for Ages 9-12 (which is fine) and Ages 4-8 (which is inexplicable, and may scare away the occasional reader who might think it's too young for them).

Best,

Tim
www.DocWilde.com
Hey Tim,

That's good to know, because when I was looking at Amazon I remember thinking that the storyline and the age range didn't quite reconcile for me...that makes more sense! I'm glad, the older range means it'll have more teeth (maybe literally and figuratively!).

Thanks for the clarification!
Leigh Purtill said…
I second what Tim is saying about the age ranges listed on Amazon - my first book, LOVE, MEG was listed there with the ages 9-12 which would make it more tween than teen but really no one under the age of 11 or 12 should read. I too was very worried that kids (or their parents) would think it was too young for them and not order - I still do!
I wonder where they get that information?!? It almost seems as though they're trying to put in grade levels instead of ages in those instances. None of us want our books to end up in the wrong hands (especially if it means a negative review!). Ugh, just one more thing to worry about....