ONE WISH with Leigh Brescia

ONE WISH is Leigh Brescia’s debut novel about overweight Wrenn Scott, who desperately wants to be popular and snag a hot boyfriend.

Wrenn's amazing voice (for once) overshadows her weight when she lands a lead role in the high school musical. Pushing to get thinner by opening night, Wrenn's waistline shrinks as she learns all the wrong ways to lose weight from a new "it-girl" friend in the show. By opening night, the old Wrenn has almost disappeared. After a crisis reveals her weight-loss tricks, Wrenn realizes there are much more important things than being thin, popular, or even dating a hunk.

Today, Leigh has stopped by to play my Six-Of-One-Half-Dozen-Of-The-Other Interview. (And does a particularly good job at it!)Feel free to elaborate as much as you want (except for the one-word Bonus question, of course, in which I see you’ve made up your own rules!!!):

1) Would you rather be the Bestselling Rockstar Author or an Acclaimed Literary Award Winner?

Bestselling Rockstar Author!

2) Make people laugh, cry, or hide under the covers?

I’d like to make people laugh AND cry: whatever the story called for and would help the book resonate.

3) Retire early or just keep writing from your beach house(s)?

Write from my beach house!

4) FaceBook or MySpace?

Facebook!

5) After a period, one space or two?

Oh My Goodness. This is a pet peeve of mine, because I teach college English classes (online) and apparently half the population didn’t get the memo that because the font faces are different on word processors you only need one space after a period. Yes, I’m looking at you Criminal Justice Professionals and US Military! One Space Only. And don’t try to argue with me because I’m the professor…and what I say goes. Don’t bite the hand that grades you.

And your bonus question: What ONE WORD of advice would give to any aspiring writer?

StickToIt Since I’ve decided that what I say goes, this is now one word, because if sticktoitiveness can be a word…WAIT! Sticktoitiveness! Don’t believe me? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sticktoitiveness. Yes, that is my advice. :)

Thanks Kimberly!

You can find out more about Leigh Brescia and her books at http://www.leighbrescia.com/!

Comments

PurpleClover said…
This book can definitely resonate with many teen girls! Great book, great interview!

(That's a lot of spaces between sentences - haha)
I don't know what's up with my blog today, the spacing is off, the colors are not my default colors, and the fonts are all effed up!!!! Seriously challenging me and I haven't even had my second cup of coffee to take the edge off yet.
Leigh Purtill said…
Ooh, a new book about weight issues - a topic I totally dig. This one sounds very interesting, plus I gotta support authors named Leigh. :) Leigh, if you like FB, you gotta join the "Leigh" groups!
lisa and laura said…
this book sounds amazing! i love seeing strong MC's that don't fit into the mold of the perfect heroine.
lisa and laura said…
P.S.
I'm totally tempted to post "throbbing member" in all of my comments on your blog in hopes that you too will attract crazy fetishests to your blog. Watch your back Kimberly, because we're all over you. And there's two of us! And Laura is crazy strong.
L&L - If "throbbing member" gets me more blog hits, then all the better. Oh, and my brother does Mixed Martial Arts, so I'm pretty sure that means I've got some mad skills too...you know, by default or something.
Hey Leigh - That's so cool that you guys have your own FB group. Do you have to know the secret handshake or do any freaky hazing things to get in, or just the name???
Great cover and the story sounds wonderful, too. I will have to read this one. And I enjoyed the interview. Please note that I only used one space after my periods :^)
Leigh Brescia said…
Thanks for the kind comments! And thanks for having me, Kimberly! I'll have to check the facebook groups out, and I appreciate *anyone* who only spaces once after a period. :)
Little Ms J said…
Ok, I'm afraid to comment. I use *ahem* two spaces after my periods. It is like muscle memory. It is how I was taught and I can't stop. I'm kind of afraid of you Leigh. I promise to sticktoit and I'll even read your book because I love the premise.

OMG - I used two spaces after each period while commenting.

I'm totally flunking Kimberly's blog.
Don't worry about it, Miss J, did I forget to mention that my copyeditor hates me??? I can't seem to break that stupid habit either.
Katie Anderson said…
This book sounds great! And I was fascinated by the one space thing. I have ALWAYS put two! But maybe it's my age? Didn't we learn 2 in school??? Am I crazy???
Yes, SF, I learned two as well...in TYPING class. That's right, they were still teaching typing when I was in school. I think that's the difference, in computers it's one space. Did that statement just date me?
Leigh Brescia said…
Ms J: Unless you submit an essay for me to grade, I don’t even notice the two spaces thing. It’s only when I’m grading that I go all MLA/grammar Nazi on everyone. There is no reason to fear me unless you’re paying to take an English Comp class and I’m in charge of making you a better writer/editor. (insert evil laugh here) :)
Leigh - And I bet *your* copyeditor doesn't cringe when you submit your manuscript...
Leigh Brescia said…
Kimberly:
(lol) No. I’m completely anal. The story itself may suck, but there are v. few typos. :)
Heidi Willis said…
This sounds like such an awesome book! Man, my list of books to read is backing up!!

I love all the exclamation points in the post as well!

I am a two-spacer, but I am trying desperately to change because I just got the memo, like, two weeks ago. I'm trying, really. (And I suppose you could take that sentence both ways and it would be true either way.)

Thanks for another great interview!
Leigh Brescia said…
Heidi: It doesn't take much to excite me. :)