This year we celebrated Mother’s Day in a different way. There was no big family get-together with my mom and my brother and his kids, my oldest daughter was out of town for a wedding, and we forced our sixteen-year-old to stay home (something he was less than thrilled about). It was just this nice, quiet, do-nothing kind of day.
And it was exactly what I needed:
1) My husband and I played two-square with my youngest daughter. This is funny on so many levels.
Me + Any sport involving a ball = Hilarity!
I flinch, I whiff the ball, and I will occasionally cheat. And, ultimately, I got crushed by a nine-year-old with a cute blonde ponytail.
2) Even though my oldest daughter wasn’t there, she called and texted me all day long as she made her way from airport to airport on her return trip from Alabama. I think she felt guilty for missing Mother’s Day. (Secretly, this made me far too happy. Best. Mother’s. Day. Gift. Ever!!!)
3) Played WOULD YOU RATHER? We don’t play the actual board game, we just read the cards as we gross each other out and crack up:
There are gems like these:
Would you rather…
…have a sixth finger OR a third nipple?
…eat a live tarantula OR hold a live wasp in your mouth for one full minute?
And my personal favorite:
…bob for apples in pus OR hit a piñata filled with diarrhea?
4) We watched AVATAR…at last! We were possibly the last people on the planet who hadn’t seen this movie, and it was SPECTACULAR!!! Even our son enjoyed it (in between text messages to his girlfriend).
5) Movie snacks! Thank god I burned those extra 12 calories playing two-square. I didn’t feel guilty at all as I inhaled a huge bowl of popcorn mixed with Reese’s Pieces (if you’ve never done this, you’re totally missing out, they get all warm and melty. You can also use M&Ms, Milk Duds, or Junior Mints). Either way, I’m pretty sure it was a wash calorie-wise, right???
So that was my perfectly uneventful Mom’s Day, how did you celebrate???