What’s New...Blog Roll Style


In case you’re wondering what’s been up, I’ve got a couple of events planned, but summer is usually when I catch my breath and spend time with my family. Have I mentioned how much I love the summer?

But if you want to see me, you can find me in the following places:

This Sunday, June 29th, I’ll be at the Clackamas (Portland, OR) Barnes & Noble at 4PM with Suzanne Young. We’re being wrangled moderated by Sara at Novel Novice, so a good time will be had by all ;)

Then in July, I’ll be at the Pacific NW Writer’s Conference on Thursday, July 17th on a Young Adult panel with Richelle Mead and Margaret Stohl (two dazzling writerly ladies!).

And the following week I’m off to San Diego Comic Con, where I’ll be appearing on Friday, July 25th with a whole slew of awesome authors, doing an incredible panel on villains! You can get all the details on my Events Page.

But for now, the fantastically awesome Alyson Noel has tagged me in a blog roll to talk about writing, and the writing process. (She talks about hers here...and I loved her answers!).


1. WHAT AM I WORKING ON
I just finished revisions on the second book in THE TAKING series, and am planning to start the third (and final) book in the trilogy.
2. HOW DOES MY WORK DIFFER FROM OTHERS OF ITS GENRE?
I think one of the things I have a hard time doing is staying within the boundaries of any one particular genre. THE BODY FINDER was part mystery, part romance, and part supernatural. THE PLEDGE was dystopic, fantasy, and romance. And with THE TAKING it’s kind of a contemporary, grounded Sci-fi, with (what else?) a strong case of romance.  
3. WHY DO I WRITE WHAT I DO?
I’ve always been drawn toward teen protagonists, even before there was a YA section in the bookstore. I like the rawness of their emotions and experiences. Not just that they’re experiencing “firsts,” which they are, but that their emotions are so surface-level and ready to make an appearance at a moment’s notice. Having teens myself, I know that they can have “the best day of their lives” and “the worst day,” all within the span of five minutes. I love that kind of passion.
4. HOW DOES MY WRITING PROCESS WORK?
Each book idea forms in a different way, but essentially it all plays out the same. I’m not an outliner, so I generally know the beginning, the ending, and several large scenes I want to hit along the way. Then I just sit down and write.
5. AND THE OTHER PART OF THIS QUESTION, HOW DOES MY WRITING PROCESS NOT WORK?
Because, like I said, I’m not an outliner, I often veer off my intended path along the way—the story will just...take an unexpected twist—and then I have to rework the story in my head before I can keep going.


So now I'm tagging three more authors!

Up next is Suzanne Young, because she's one of my favorite people. And she's adorable. And I heart her books, two of which, THE PROGRAM and A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL, I loved enough to blurb!

SR Johannes, whose book UNTRACEABLE I also blurbed, and who just happens to by my crit partner, and who I also <3 font="">

And CJ Omololu, who I also love, and who is also one of my favorite people (are you noticing a trend here?). 

These are all authors who, if you haven't read their books yet you definitely should!!!

Happy Summer, you guys. I hope you're all taking some time to enjoy the sun, a cold glass of lemonade, and family time!




Comments