Move Over Chip and Joanna Gaines...


So, let me start by saying this is not a home improvement blog. Obviously. And my husband and I are not particularly handy. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, there wasn’t anything wrong with our kitchen. See, not that bad:





But because we live in the Pacific NW, where the winters are long…and dreary, our kitchen, with its dark cherry cabinets, brown granite counters, and walnut floors was like a black hole, sucking all the light from the house.

I would have loved to tear everything out and start from scratch but, you know…money. So I set out on a mission and began pouring over Pinterest (the land of inexperienced DIY-ers). I spent upwards of year pinning paint colors, brands, and techniques. I read what-not-to-dos.

Along the way, I realized that if I changed the cabinets, the counters might have to go too. But I didn’t want to throw thousands of dollars into new granite, quartz, marble, or some other solid surface. Again, I searched Pinterest—what could one do to change their existing granite? Turns out most people don’t mess with granite, even when it’s ugly granite. Then I stumbled across this blog post…a woman after my own heart. Originally, I planned to do something like she did, a white marbled countertop. But I worried that virtually everyone I knew had marble. So, after experimenting with some samples, and watching every Stone Coat Countertop video on YouTube, I decided to try something different—there is virtually no limit to what can be done with this product.

In the end, our project turned out beautifully! I’m so glad I did the research and did the prep work—I can’t stress this enough, don’t skimp on the prep work!

 You can read a detailed breakdown of our paint project here. This was where we started, although I’ll preface this by saying if we’d been smart we would have done the counters first to avoid the possibility of messing up our new paint job. We didn’t…but it could have been disastrous!

And here you can see how we did our countertops. The product we used can be used on just about any surface (tile, MDF, laminate, and yes, granite), and it’s super easy to use! I cannot say enough about it or the company’s customer service.

After we were finished, I thought I would be able to live with the black granite backsplash—I mean, everything else would be light and bright, right? But, much to my husband’s chagrin, it turned out I could not. This time, for the sake of marital harmony, I opted not to rope my husband into another DIY project—somehow I felt that tiling was above our pay grade. So we headed to Floor & Décor to pick our tile and hired a pro for the install. Demo and install took about three days, and we love (LOVE!) the finished look! The new tile tied everything together.









Now I’m no longer worried that the gloomy NW winter is coming, my kitchen has become my happy place.

Comments

Unknown said…
Get Myob perddiscohelp from myperdiscohelp.com at a very low, cheap and reasonable price.
We are a team of PHD professionals and experts.
SmithRed said…

Help For Assignment

Do you need help with an assignment? Best assignment expert is now assisting students with Help For Assignment at a low and affordable price with discounts.
Unknown said…
Each time students are given new question sets to practice and clear their concept. Our, devoted authority is functioning 24x7 to yield the greatest assistance to you. Perdisco worksheet We also contribute framed solutions with step-by-step explanations to the students at minimum rates.
pablojay said…
This is absolutely the best information I have looking forward to get, and I must say that you are doing a very nice job here in this blog. You can see unilag cut off mark for civil engineering
zarkazijar said…
I'm so much in love with this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thanks for sharing. adamawa state coe cut off mark for all courses
james said…
Reallly nice article all of things is good. Your kitchen is soo beautiful. Now its time to avail roller shutter londonfor more details.
ESLAM UWK said…
هل تعلم ان شركة مصر للمصاعد تقدم ارخص و افضل سعر المصاعد الكهربائية في مصر حيث تقوم الشركة بتركيب جميع انواع المصاعد باسعار تناسب الجيمع

CLADING2222 said…
شركة السلطان تعتبر افضل شركة نقل اثاث في مصر حيث انها تتميز بان لديها فريق متخصص في فك التكييفات و الاجهزة الكهربائية كالتلفاز و المبردات دون الحاجة الي فنيين متخصصين من الشركات المصنعة فمعنا كل شئ محسوب و مجهز له تماما
CLADING2222 said…
الان مع شركة انجزني افضل شركة نقل عفش في مصر يمكنكم نقل اثاث منازلكم بسهولة وبدون مجهود لانها تعتمد علي عمال متخصصين وذو خبرة طويلة في الانزال والرفع وسيارات نقل حديثة مجهزة علي اعلي مستوي
Jimena said…
Hello everyone my name Ximena Jimena from Cuba i want to use this medium to inform the world on how i got cured from Herpes & diabetes at first when i had symptoms back in 2014 i went for test and it came out positive i lost hope of getting a better relationship or marriage, everything changed when i met Dr Itua i contacted explained everything to him and he said he has the cure so i decided to order it from him, so i actually did after 2 weeks i went for test and i was negative i'm forever grateful to him.he can also cure all diseases
email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com Dr Itua can also bring back your ex lover and make him or she love more than ever.
Malia said…
It is worth reading your blog. The content is really useful. In case you want assignment help services, the right place is Assignment Help Pro. Most of the students face difficulties in doing their assignments and time management comes to overcome such a difficult time. Due to the load of their academics and time constraints, they search for help to finish their college work by the deadline. So if you need assignment help, contact us today. Assignment Help in Australia
eslam jexx said…
يمكن للاجئين واقامة الاجانب فى مصر الذين من المقرر أن يجددوا أو يحصلوا على بطاقات المفوضية الخاصة بهم في مكاتب المفوضية وتلقوا رسائل من المفوضية بذلك، الحصول على رقم الإقامة المرجعي الخاص بوزارة الخارجية أثناء مقابلتهم في مكاتب المفوضية والتواصل مباشرة مع مكتب الإقامة بالإدارة العامة للهجرة والجوازات والجنسية بالعباسية في الموعد المحدد لهم.
eslam jexx said…
قد يبدو استئجار شركة نقل اثاث مكلفًا في البداية، ولكن في الحقيقة يمكن أن يوفر المزيد من المال على المدى الطويل. فعندما يتولى فريق محترف جميع جوانب عملية النقل، يتجنبون التلف أو الخسائر التي قد تحدث عند محاولة نقل الأثاث بأنفسهم.
شركات نقل العفش المحترفة توفر خدمات مهنية وآمنة شركات نقل الاثاث والأغراض المنزلية في مصر. باستخدام تقنيات التغليف المناسبة والخبرة في مجالها، تضمن هذه الشركات سلامة وحماية الأثاث أثناء عملية النقل. كما توفر الراحة والسهولة للعملاء وتوفر التكاليف على المدى الطويل.
Notes CBSE said…
I really enjoyed reading this article. The writer has a clear and concise writing style, and I found the information to be very informative and helpful. I also appreciate the way the article is visually appealing, with clear and well-organized content. If you are looking for more educational content, such as notes and NCERT solutions, for exam preparation and quick revision, then please visit: Notes CBSE, the best learning platform.