Save The Publishers...Save the World! (or something like that)

So there a few things I wanted to point out that I’ve come across this week in the Blogosphere…

First, the publishing industry is definitely feeling the financial crunch. After a brutal October, some publishers have reported negative earnings for the entire year of 2008. Those are frightening statistics for those of us who are hoping to earn a living from a floundering industry…and almost as terrifying for avid readers, when publishers take fewer risks on new authors and we will see fewer titles on the shelves. There have been several (MANY!) bloggers proposing a universal solution to this problem, and what is it?

BUY A BOOK!

That’s right, it’s that simple. This holiday season, instead of some disposable toy or another set of bath gels that will only get re-gifted later on, give the gift of laughter….or inspiration…or terror (if you’re like me and like something a little spookier). Buy a book for yourself, for a friend, for your mom, your kids, a co-worker. Anyone…anytime!

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!


In other book news, check out the Presenting Lenore site for free giveaways of Robin Benway’s book, Audrey, Wait! She's giving away not one, but 5 copies, people! You have until November 25th to get over and register…it’s quick and easy. So, do it. Now!




I also read a great (4-star) review of The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman over at Em’s Bookshelf. This is a book I’ve been eyeballing for a while…it looks exactly like something I’d love, even though it’s more Middle Grade than YA. (Another great gift idea for those 9+ kids in your life!). After reading her review, I will definitely be adding this to my Amazon cart this week!!!


And a suggestion for those tough-to-buy-for teen girls (and believe me, I’ve got ‘em too), try 13 Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. I read it last summer and was completely blown away by it!

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

This is a serious subject matter, and while on the surface it might sound depressing, it’s not. At all. It’s deep and soulful and heart-wrenching, but also beautiful and, in the strangest of ways, optimistic even. You can read some reviews at The Book Muncher and The YA YA YAS.

Comments

PJ Hoover said…
Great choices! And yes, I'll second it. Buy books!
KK said…
Thanks Kim! You just solved my holiday buying dilemma!
Leigh Purtill said…
Ah, I love the smell of new books.

The economic news all over has been so dire, it shouldn't surprise anyone that publishing is down too - expendable income and discretionary purchases and all that. At least that's what I tell myself...
anahbird said…
I just wanted to say: I LOVE the title of this blog! I am a huge fan of the Heroes TV series. (I assume that's where you got the title from?) I love punny little things like that!

And I definitely agree on buying books for people. I can't remember a year I didn't buy someone a book for Christmas. Actually this year, my mom asked me for a particular book, so I already have it!

~ Robin
anahbird,

Definitely Heroes...I'm all about corny references!!!
Tam and John said…
Books are my absolute favorite gifts to give and receive, bar none. Great idea, Kim. And great post too, you're a fount of info!