Meet Neesha: SHINE, COCONUT MOON

I’ll admit it, covers are my thing. And the cover alone of Shine, Coconut Moon does it for me. It’s dark and beautiful and evocative.

Once the cover hooks you, read this:

Samar–a.k.a. Sam–is an Indian-American teenager whose mom has kept her away from her old-fashioned family. It's never bothered Sam, who is busy with school, friends, and a demanding boyfriend. But things change after 9/11. A guy in a turban shows up at Sam's house–and turns out to be her uncle. He wants to reconcile the family and teach Sam about her Sikh heritage. Sam is eager, but when boys attack her uncle, chanting "Go back home, Osama!," Sam realizes she could be in danger–and also discovers how dangerous ignorance is.

Neesha Meminger was born in India, grew up in Canada, and currently lives in New York City with her family. All of her writing explores the inner landscape of her characters, and how it merges or conflicts with the outer. She writes stories of women and girls defining themselves and shaping their own destinies within the confines of their day to day realities.

So, you guys know the drill: The interview is five questions and one Bonus!

Neesha, feel free to elaborate as much as you want (except, of course for the one-word bonus question).

1) Would you rather be the Bestselling Rockstar Author or an Acclaimed Literary Award Winner?

A bit of both. Though my first choice would really be Oprah (as in: I'd like to BE Oprah).

2) Make people laugh, cry, or hide under the covers?

Laugh, cry and gasp!

3) Retire early or just keep writing from your beach house(s)?

Keep writing from my beach house, definitely :).

4) FaceBook or MySpace?

Facebook, all the way, baby!

5) After a period, one space or two?

Gosh, I'm such a dinosaur. I still do two spaces, if you can believe it. *runs and hides*

And your bonus question: What ONE WORD of advice would give to any aspiring writer?

Steadfast

To learn more about Shine, Coconut Moon, and its fabulous author, Neesha, check out Neesha’s website at http://www.neeshameminger.com/!

Comments

lisa and laura said…
I've seen this cover around the interwebs and I love it. I covet the necklace she's wearing...oh and her body in general. I remember back before kids when my stomach was...ok wait, I'm getting off track.

The book looks amazing and I can't wait to read it. My amazon bill is going to be insane thanks to all of your interviews!
Leigh Purtill said…
That IS an awesome cover! I never used to notice them so much until I had to deal with my own - now I find I covet lots of covers! Congrats and good luck, Neesha!
I love this cover, definitely, and I can't wait to pick up a copy of this novel. I meant too...but I'm so behind on some book shopping...not that I NEED any more new books, but I can't help myself!

-Lauren
Lauren, and Lisa and Laura -- Yeah, Amazon pretty much owns me! I wish I had as much time to read as I spend perusing the shelves.

And Leigh -- It's like cover sickness. Comparing, contrasting, coveting. This is a really good one, though!
Oh, Shelli, I almost forgot you, and I totally agree...STEADFAST is such a great word! What writer doesn't need to cling to that one now and then???
Little Ms J said…
I like that word too - "steadfast." Comes at a time when I need a little reminder! Thank you and great interview!
Tabitha said…
I've heard so much about this book, so I really need to pick up a copy! Great interview! :)